The current What topics can I ask about here? page is lacking.
Magento Stack Exchange is for users of and developers working with the Magento e-Commerce platform.
There have been several discussions about what is on-topic on meta, but no action has been taken on the page. I don't know how many people actually read before posting :/, but for the people who do wish to join the community and contribute to magento.stackexchange it may be helpful to point to what is and isn't an acceptable question.
- Questions about extensions
- What to do with questions & answers regarding free extensions?
- "What did you do before posting"
Of course writing our own would be best, but at the very least, we could copy a bit from SO:
the best [Magento] questions have a bit of source code in them, but if your question generally covers...
- a specific [Magento] programming problem
a software algorithm
- [Magento extensions or] tools [which are free or] commonly used
- practical, answerable problems that are unique to [Magento] software development
... then you’re in the right place to ask your question!
The extensions or tools bullet will confuse people, so it may need additional verbiage like "- This is not a support forum for Module XYZ. Do not assume that anybody but you owns/uses your module, so do you research in debugging the module."