I'm writing this post because lately I've been declining a lot of flags from different people and maybe this website needs a better explanation of what should be flagged or not.
The other purpose of this is so I can link this post when I decline flags in the future.
I know I've said in a few meta posts that you should flag everything that looks suspicious on the main website, but I guess some people find everything suspicious.
What should you definitely flag (this is in no way a complete list, but you can get the idea).
- Verbal assault.
- Single link answers (but try to leave a comment before flagging).
- posts that have nothing to do with Magento (spam)
- posts from users that only promote their content. (yeah, you will have to look at the user profile from time to time).
- Posts linking to commercial extensions without any indication for authors affiliation (thanks @fschmengler for pointing it out)
- Answers that copy another answer and they are posted far apart.
- Answers that are not answers (other questions, "thank you" answers, ...)
- Comments asking for an answer to a different question.
- Duplicate questions from the same user.
What you should not flag.
- Wrong answers (if you think a technical answer is not the right answer don't flag it. Comment on it and downvote).
- duplicate questions from different users (just vote to close as duplicate).
- Answers that contain links to extensions (paid or free) but have an explanation of what the extension does and how it works.
- Own questions that have been closed and you think they should not be closed. For this, create a meta post explaining why you think the question is valid.
- Answers that state basically the same think but they are posted in a short period of time. It is actually very common for 2 people to find the same solution and post it 5 minutes apart.
Feel free to add answers with items that you think should go in one of the lists above and we'll discuss them.